[CS-FSLUG] SUSE 9.1 and Final exams

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Sun Jun 6 03:10:25 CDT 2004

On Sunday 06 June 2004 09:57, N. Thompson wrote:
[snip]

> I'm curious, do you find it boggs down very severely sometimes? I find that
> happens with my system and its very noticeable especially when I'm
> listening to music in XMMS and running YaST (especially when starting YaST,
> the music will skip severely). As I find this a recurring problem with both
> the 9.0 and 9.1 FTP versions and I doubt SUSE would market a product that
> has this kind of issue I am very convinced that this is particular to the
> FTP version and will not be a problem in the personal and professional
> editions and I'm hoping you can confirm my suspicion for me.

I think it is same with this boxed (update-) version. I noticed it while
watching tv and using YaST - tv started skipping frames, freezing a picture
awhile.

> I have also sent an e-mail to SUSE asking them the same.
>
> For the record I am running a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz with 2 256 Mb chips of DDR
> ram and I have a GForce FX 5200 Video card as well as  a 512 Mb swap
> partition.

I thought the reason is too "heavy" installation (5.27 Gb - I don't even know
what unnecessary programs/services there is running at background ;-) for my
computers performance (dual Celeron 500 Mhz, 378 Mb SDRAM/PC133 ram, Matrox
G400 DH videocard and 754 Mb swap), but if you have similar symptoms with
much better hardware, the reason must be somewhere else.

> So far SUSE 9.1 seems to be the ideal system for programmer and power
> users, it works flawlessly except for the performance issue which I'm
> hoping is specific to the FTP version, it comes with all the development
> tools one might ever need including KDevelop, Gambas, KRPMBuilder, the
> latest Quanta plus, the latest version of The gimp and Rekall, everything
> sport a unified theme (or so it seems although GTK and KDE widgets do not
> look not perfectly identical) and its very easy to maintain.

I noticed that there were some libraries missing, when I was not able to
upgrade Gimp to 2.0.1-version (it upgraded without a hitch in SuSE 9.0 Pro)..

> In order to beat what SUSE has included in their professional edition
> Microsoft would have to take Windows XP professional ($299 USD), Visual
> Studio .net professional ($1 079 USD), Microsoft Office XP standard ($399
> USD) and hundreds of other applications and make the entire package
> available for just under $100 CAD.

I have done similar calculations too and I wish someone in my work could
see/take them seriously - they are upgrading computer system next week and
linux was accepted only as a server. I asked if I could have Linux at least
for myself but it was not possible. Maybe someday.

Blessings,
Jukka