[CS-FSLUG] SUSE 9.1 and Final exams

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Jun 6 01:57:06 CDT 2004

On June 6, 2004 12:27 am, Jukka Y wrote:
> On Sunday 06 June 2004 08:38, N. Thompson wrote:
[snip]

> I have SUSE 9.1 Pro too now! I am looking forward to hear your comments
> about it ;-). I purchased an update-version (did cost 66 euros here in
> Helsinki) because I wanted to install it on a machine that has no internet
> connection. I wish you the best in your exams!
>
> Blessings,
> Jukka

I'm curious, do you find it boggs down very severely sometimes? I find that
happens with my system and its very noticeable especially when I'm listening
to music in XMMS and running YaST (especially when starting YaST, the music
will skip severely). As I find this a recurring problem with both the 9.0 and
9.1 FTP versions and I doubt SUSE would market a product that has this kind
of issue I am very convinced that this is particular to the FTP version and
will not be a problem in the personal and professional editions and I'm
hoping you can confirm my suspicion for me.

I have also sent an e-mail to SUSE asking them the same.

For the record I am running a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz with 2 256 Mb chips of DDR ram
and I have a GForce FX 5200 Video card as well as  a 512 Mb swap partition.

So far SUSE 9.1 seems to be the ideal system for programmer and power users,
it works flawlessly except for the performance issue which I'm hoping is
specific to the FTP version, it comes with all the development tools one
might ever need including KDevelop, Gambas, KRPMBuilder, the latest Quanta
plus, the latest version of The gimp and Rekall, everything sport a unified
theme (or so it seems although GTK and KDE widgets do not look not perfectly
identical) and its very easy to maintain.

In order to beat what SUSE has included in their professional edition
Microsoft would have to take Windows XP professional ($299 USD), Visual
Studio .net professional ($1 079 USD), Microsoft Office XP standard ($399
USD) and hundreds of other applications and make the entire package available
for just under $100 CAD.