[CS-FSLUG] Setting up a Wireless Network

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 5 16:01:04 CDT 2004

At 02:53 PM 6/5/04, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>         1.) I have an existing wired router switch (4-port Linksys) and
> I'd like to keep it on the network to go along with a new Linksys
> wireless 802.11g router (which also has a 4-port switch thus allowing me
> to have more wired connections). So here's what I need to do: I need to
> link the old router to the new router, I guess by running a cable from
> the old router's "uplink port" (which doubles as the first port of the
> switch normally) to the new router's WAN/Internet port, and then -- if I
> understand correctly -- switch the new router to "Dynamic Routing" from
> "Gateway" so that it knows there is another router in town. Does this
> sound like it should work? Would I be better off to rid myself of the
> wired router and buy a plain old switch to accompany the new router if I
> need more than 4-ports?

I've worked with several LinkSys and D-Link routers and have never seen any
with an "uplink" port.  I did a router-router connection setup like yours
only once.  I ignored the WAN connection on router not connected to
internet (wireless), so that second router (with builtin printserver)
functioned just like a switch.  I used crossover cable to connect the two
routers LAN-port to LAN-port.

>         2.) If I need to get a few GNU/Linux boxen going on this network,
> are Linksys cards any good for GNU/Linux networks? Other recommendations?
> Particularly, I need one for a desktop, preferably a USB/external one so
> that I can position the antenna in a better location, and one for a
> notebook (cardbus).

I haven't tried wireless on Linux yet - I'm using D-Link DWL-650+ on two
Win98 laptops.

Frank