[CS-FSLUG] Setting up a Wireless Network

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 5 13:53:27 CDT 2004

Hi everyone,
	I was wondering if someone could shed a bit of light on wireless
networking for me?

	1.) I have an existing wired router switch (4-port Linksys) and I'd
like to keep it on the network to go along with a new Linksys wireless
802.11g router (which also has a 4-port switch thus allowing me to have
more wired connections). So here's what I need to do: I need to link
the old router to the new router, I guess by running a cable from the
old router's "uplink port" (which doubles as the first port of the
switch normally) to the new router's WAN/Internet port, and then -- if
I understand correctly -- switch the new router to "Dynamic Routing"
from "Gateway" so that it knows there is another router in town. Does
this sound like it should work? Would I be better off to rid myself of
the wired router and buy a plain old switch to accompany the new router
if I need more than 4-ports?

	2.) If I need to get a few GNU/Linux boxen going on this network, are
Linksys cards any good for GNU/Linux networks? Other recommendations?
Particularly, I need one for a desktop, preferably a USB/external one
so that I can position the antenna in a better location, and one for a
notebook (cardbus).

	Main objective, other than getting it to work: getting it to work for
as little as possible.

	Secondary objective: to stick with Linksys products if possible --
I've had a lot of success with them in the past, and I'd prefer to
stick to one networking company if possible.

	Suggestions?

	Thanks,
		Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |