[CS-FSLUG] Refiltering mail

Jerry Van Brimmer jerryvb at ispwest.com
Wed Jun 2 04:11:44 CDT 2004

Jonathan Rupp wrote:

> Jerry,
>
>> I've been playing with Mutt and Procmail. Now I have a lot of mail in
>> my Mutt inbox that didn't make it through procmail's filters. I was
>> wondering if there's a way to refilter the inbox through procmail?
>> There's usually a way to do anything you want in Linux, I just don't
>> know what it is here. Would "fetchmail <path to inbox>" work?
>

> I'd actually like to know how to do the same thing -- I'm going to be
> switching over to a procmail-filtered setup instead of a
> client-filtered setup.  Let me know if you find a solution elsewhere
> or someone responds off-list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan Rupp
> jdr157 at flashmail.com

I just discovered a really cool command for your muttrc file. Put this
in your ~/.muttrc file and every time you enter any mail box (I'm using
maildir format), Mutt will mark duplicates for deletion automatically.
So, if you use the script I posted to refilter your mailboxes, then you
can use this command to delete the duplicates.

Here's the command:

folder-hook . 'push <delete-pattern>~=\n'

"Back up all mail folders/files BEFORE using these commands!"

jerry