[CS-FSLUG] The Power of Corporate Prayer

Alvin Smith email at alvinsmith.com
Wed Dec 29 10:46:16 CST 2004

The Power of Corporate Prayer
by Scott Stoops

“And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord
in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing
mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there
appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of
them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with
other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” Acts 2:1-4 KJV

“And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled
together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the
word of God with boldness.” Acts 4:31 KJV

God’s people prayed corporately and God moved in fantastic ways. On the first
day of the new church the Lord added 3000 new members. When persecution came
God’s people prayed and God enabled them to speak the word with boldness.

"About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching
the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray." Acts 10:9 And the gospel
reached the Gentiles.

Acts 12:1-19 describe how Peter was arrested and then miraculously delivered
from prison and almost certain death. He went to the house of Mary the mother
of John where many had gathered and were praying for him.

"On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected
to find a place of prayer." Acts 16:13 Paul, Silas and Timothy are at
Phillippi and Lydia was saved.

Beginning to end, the Book of Acts is about what the Lord Jesus did through
the church as they went about praying and proclaiming the gospel. The gospel
was preached and people turned to the Lord. People were healed of all kinds
of diseases, delivered from demonic influences and raised from the dead. The
kingdom of heaven spread throughout the known world. And the gates of hell
did not stand against it.

Sure. God acted in his sovereignty and according to his will. But he also
acted and worked with people who were praying together. Jesus said, "Again, I
tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it
will be done by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in
my name, there am I with them." Matt:18:19-20.

"And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten
thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword."
Lev. 26:8 Though this passage is specifically referring to what the Lord
would do for the Israelites if they obeyed him it also shows us how he will
act on our behalf. If the Israelites were faithful then God would be strong
on their behalf and the enemy wouldn't stand a chance. He would give them the
victory.

The day of Pentecost has come. We are the church of the new testament. Jesus
Christ is in our midst. Let's pray on our own and let's pray corporately and
see what greater things the Lord will do through us.
--
peace,
Alvin Smith