[CS-FSLUG] Printer Woes

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 22:20:01 CST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:36:37 -0600, Timothy R. Butler
<tbutler at uninetsolutions.com> wrote:
> had trouble with it just stopping in the middle of pages, and worse,
> completing jobs, but dividing some pages into two pages with part of
> the text on one page and part of it on another page. Its gotten to the
> point where I must check every document very carefully to make sure
> everything is OK.

Is it feeding correctly?  If it's the feed that is causing the two
page issue, take a look at the rollers - they may have accumulated
lint/dust from the paper.  Try using scotch or masking tape to clean
them off, the same way you would off of clothing, doubled back on
itself, sticky side out and work the rollers around while making
contact.  Or you can try brushing them with a cut down paintbrush -
cut the bristles down to about 1/4 - 1/8 inch, to where they are
stiff, and brush the rollers.  A wire brush would be a bit to
abrasive, so I would avoid that.

I've found that HP's inkjet printers have declined in reliability in
the last few years.  Same with the lower end Laser printers -
1100/2100 series.  I had three 1100's fail at work all within a three
month period - which just so happened to be about two months out of
warranty.  I also had a bad experience with an all in one PSC type
(can't remember the model, as it lies somewhere in the North Atlantic
(Navy burial at sea :) ) But I couldn't get in to clean the rollers,
or adjust the belt for the print heads, which was too slack and kept
slipping.

If you can deal with a stand alone scanner, I've found that the HP
7660 has been nice for personal use - has the media reader, but no
color LCD, I believe the next model up does though, the 7760 (I
think).

I just wish all of HP's products had the reliability of the old
Laserjet III's and IV's.  We had two LJ IV's that withstood a few good
tossings by heavy seas, and page counts in excess of 400k.  Only wear
and tear maintenance over their lifetime (fuser, replaced rollers,
etc) and they are still in use on the ship.

Brad