[CS-FSLUG] Printer Woes

David M. david at davidcentral.net
Tue Dec 28 22:10:30 CST 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 10:36 pm, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> As many of you know, I have an HP PSC 2210. It's given good service on
> both Mac OS X and GNU/Linux over the last two years. Although I've
> given it a very light load of ~ 1800 pages total (it is rated for
> 3000/month, IIRC). Unfortunately, my PSC is starting to act up. I have
> had trouble with it just stopping in the middle of pages, and worse,
> completing jobs, but dividing some pages into two pages with part of
> the text on one page and part of it on another page. Its gotten to the
> point where I must check every document very carefully to make sure
> everything is OK.
>
> At the same time, I cannot always replicate the problem. Does anyone
> have a suggestion on how I might fix this? Right now I'm using it with
> HP's Mac OS X drivers, but I'm fairly certain it is a hardware issue,
> because my other HP printer does not exhibit similar behavior connected
> to the same system.
>
> Also, if I have been trying to figure out what to replace this unit
> with should it be a problem too difficult to resolve. I'm looking at an
> OfficeJet -- Costco has one with a duplexer and sheet feeder for $349,
> but I'm hestitant to buy another HP. This is my main printer, and it is
> the third of three HP's that have started exhibiting problems and then
> eventually died in a row -- one that I had from 1998-1999, then one
> from 1999-2002 and finally this one from 2002-2004. I don't like that
> short of life cycle.
>
> There are two possibilities if I replace it: buy another inkjet
> multifunction device from someone. This unit will be hooked up to Mac
> OS X, which will share the machine with GNU/Linux via CUPS, so even
> Lexmark is a possibility. Epson looks attractive but does not have a
> sheet feeder on any of their units (not required, but nice).
> Alternately, I could buy a laser multifunction device. Sure it would be
> b/w, but I have a color HP Deskjet 6850 available to all the systems on
> my network via Wi-Fi (either via Rendezvous for Mac OS X or
> JetDirect/IPP printing for GNU/Linux systems).
>
> Laser units, I suspect might be better built...
>
> Options that would be nice, but not necessary (in order or usefulness)
> are sheet feeder, built in networking support (wired or wi-fi), color
> LCD screen (if inkjet), PictBridge (also if inkjet), memory card reader
> (also if inkjet). Brands I've been looking at so far are HP, despite my
> increasing disappointment with their quality, Epson, Lexmark, Canon,
> Brother, etc. High quality text is most important, photo printing is
> nice, but not absolutely required due to the above consideration that I
> already have a good HP color standalone printer.
>
> 	Thanks for advice both on the old unit and potential replacements.

I´ve been using an Epson stylus CX3200 for 3 years. It´s the
Scanner/copier/print combo and it´s awesome.

For me I went through 3 Lexmark printers in less than a 3 year period and
vowed never to buy another Lexmark.

I briefly had an HP Deskjet 610CL which was Ok, but ran out of ink very
quickly.

--
David M.