[CS-FSLUG] Printer Woes

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Dec 28 21:36:37 CST 2004

As many of you know, I have an HP PSC 2210. It's given good service on
both Mac OS X and GNU/Linux over the last two years. Although I've
given it a very light load of ~ 1800 pages total (it is rated for
3000/month, IIRC). Unfortunately, my PSC is starting to act up. I have
had trouble with it just stopping in the middle of pages, and worse,
completing jobs, but dividing some pages into two pages with part of
the text on one page and part of it on another page. Its gotten to the
point where I must check every document very carefully to make sure
everything is OK.

At the same time, I cannot always replicate the problem. Does anyone
have a suggestion on how I might fix this? Right now I'm using it with
HP's Mac OS X drivers, but I'm fairly certain it is a hardware issue,
because my other HP printer does not exhibit similar behavior connected
to the same system.

Also, if I have been trying to figure out what to replace this unit
with should it be a problem too difficult to resolve. I'm looking at an
OfficeJet -- Costco has one with a duplexer and sheet feeder for $349,
but I'm hestitant to buy another HP. This is my main printer, and it is
the third of three HP's that have started exhibiting problems and then
eventually died in a row -- one that I had from 1998-1999, then one
from 1999-2002 and finally this one from 2002-2004. I don't like that
short of life cycle.

There are two possibilities if I replace it: buy another inkjet
multifunction device from someone. This unit will be hooked up to Mac
OS X, which will share the machine with GNU/Linux via CUPS, so even
Lexmark is a possibility. Epson looks attractive but does not have a
sheet feeder on any of their units (not required, but nice).
Alternately, I could buy a laser multifunction device. Sure it would be
b/w, but I have a color HP Deskjet 6850 available to all the systems on
my network via Wi-Fi (either via Rendezvous for Mac OS X or
JetDirect/IPP printing for GNU/Linux systems).

Laser units, I suspect might be better built...

Options that would be nice, but not necessary (in order or usefulness)
are sheet feeder, built in networking support (wired or wi-fi), color
LCD screen (if inkjet), PictBridge (also if inkjet), memory card reader
(also if inkjet). Brands I've been looking at so far are HP, despite my
increasing disappointment with their quality, Epson, Lexmark, Canon,
Brother, etc. High quality text is most important, photo printing is
nice, but not absolutely required due to the above consideration that I
already have a good HP color standalone printer.

	Thanks for advice both on the old unit and potential replacements.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |