[CS-FSLUG] Survey of Women on the List

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 16:29:04 CST 2004

This is a rather informal survey.  I have run across the LinuxChix
site and discovered some of the women involved have strongly feminist
views.  I am interested in hearing from the women on the list in
general, and would like to hear about your experiences (from those in
the IT field) in a male-dominated field.  I realize the potential for
opening a can of worms here, so bear with me.

When I read that one woman compiles her own kernels, runs different
flavors of Linux & BSD, etc. I found that pretty interesting, but
perhaps not too shocking.  After all, I see several women in our IT
department - if they weren't competent, they wouldn't be there.  My
security client has won several awards for innovation in e-commerce,
security, etc.  So I have full confidence in women's abilities in this
field.

I also have not seen (personally) any kind of off-the-cuff remarks on
the list, but don't know if I may have missed anything.  I'm basically
doing research, even if it's not exactly purely scientific (I ain't a
scientist) to see how active the women are in the Christian FOSS
community, and what kinds of issues they face, as compared to their
more secular counterparts.  Also, how is your experience compared to
theirs in the IT field?

You should feel free to respond off-list, if you're more comfortable
with that.  That said...

(1) Firstly, I'm interested to know how many women are on the list,
and of those how many are actually in the IT field.

(2) What is your experience in working in this field?

(3) How do you feel you are treated by the fellas on this list?
(Guys, if their responses make you mad, maybe you need to think about
it)

(4) Are there any changes you would like to see in terms of our behavior?

(5) Is there anything else you would like to add?

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/