[CS-FSLUG] Cable modem and hub setup in Suse 9

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Dec 27 17:01:41 CST 2004

On Mon December 27 2004 2:06 pm, N. Thompson wrote:
> When we had Roadrunner as our ISP they used cable modems, all we had to
> do was set up the network cards to use DHCP like you did, the only time
> I was unable to load some sites was when I was using a poorly supported
> 3Com network card which was on my new computer and by then we were using
> a different IS which used DSL. I have to give SUSE credit since it was
> the only distribution around at the time that supported the 3Com card
> however I was unable to load some sites like Google, I later found out
> that the driver was either another that was modified to support the card
> or support for the card was just a hack that didn't work that well
> because it would drop packets. If your problem is anything like mine I
> would recommend trying a different network card if you have one lying
> around unless of course you already know that card works well.

Just to add some of my experience, which now includes WELL over 600 boxen I've
installed SUSE Linux on. I found that if I wanted a Nic. to work on ANY box
right out of the box, just spend the little extra cash and install an Intel
Pro 100....or whatever 100 base card from Intel you can get.

Fred

--
"As Internet technology itself vaults into new areas, so too does the
Microsoft monopoly and its tried-and-true bag of tricks."