[CS-FSLUG] free dns hosting

David M. david at davidcentral.net
Tue Dec 21 19:15:46 CST 2004

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 07:46 pm, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> Hi David,
> 	Have you tried Googling?

Yeah I googled and looked around, but it's hard to trust anyone.

> 	It has been a long time since I last looked,
> but I know several exist. Alternately, I could provide limited DNS
> services for you, if you have a static IP.

Since we moved way out almost in the middle of nowhere now, the only service I
could get was DSL and I have a dynamic IP :-(

> If not, you'll probably need
> to go with dyndns.org or some such.

I checked them out along with zoneedit.com. So far those were the only 2
places I came anywhere close to trusting.

> 	A word of warning: keep in mind that you'll need your e-mail to be
> hosted on a server with a static IP to e-mail anyone on ServerForest
> and many other hosts around the 'net. Many hosts, I believe including
> HostingMatters, are now blocking dynamic IP ranges as part of
> anti-worm, anti-spam measures. I myself implemented DUL (dynamic user
> blocking) as part of my spam blacklisting measures a few weeks ago on
> ServerForest.

Now thats a drawback. I was hoping to get some experience running my own mail
server. I'll keep thinking about this and see which would be the best course
of action.

David M.