[CS-FSLUG] Just got hit with a cluestick

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Dec 16 09:02:11 CST 2004

Hi Norbert,
I will answer this in two emails because my answers have two distinct flavors
to them.

Most of why I wrote that last email was to get a flavor of what you are
thinking of.  I have met a ton of people interested in various aspects of free
software, from building it, to using it, to forcing it on others, to helping it
grow naturally.  My main focus is missions and great-commission work (The
spreading of the Gospel), and it is in those realms that I have most of my
contacts.  I do have a number of people I know of who are trying to set up
various business/ministry combinations using FOSS.  The main concept seeming to
be that they have a for-cost service in the USA and the proceeds from that go
to cover the cost of supplying that same service to ministries.  But none of
them seem to have a clue about the business side of things.  I was very
impressed by a number of the articles from you that I read, which showed that
you had put a great deal of time into understanding what most of the folks in
my realm have no idea of how to start thinking about.  So I was trying to muddy
the waters a little to see where you stood.

But also, I was curious about your business.  Since you were interested in
impacting the third world, there is certainly some overlap in interest.  And I
also just like to think about such things as it helps me learn more.

With that as a backdrop, I will respond in a more regular fashion to your
email.

    - Tim

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Tim Young <Tim.Young at LightSys.org> wrote:
>
> > Ok, you got me curious.  I do a lot with free software (and even
> > help develop some) but I know I am not the guy you are looking for.
> > But I am quite curious about your thoughts for a Free Software
> > Business.

(snip)