[CS-FSLUG] Just got hit with a cluestick

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Dec 16 08:21:14 CST 2004

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Actually I think what I need right now is people who will listen to
> my ideas, share their thoughts, and pray with me.  If you are willing
> to "walk with me for a stretch of road on my journey", simply as a
> brother who has no interest in ever getting directly involved in my
> business, that'll be of immense value to me!

Count me in on this part. I'm able to appreciate technology from the
serious user perspective, but am quite incompetent to help create it.
What I can do is observe the process with a prophetic eye and a strong
belief that what we discuss here can play a part in fulfilling the Great
Commission.

> My personal interests which I will like to bring into this business
> are:
>
> (1) Technical applications (in Free Software) of the study of moral
>     economics.  With "moral economics" I mean the study of how the
>     economy works from the perspective of someone who believes that
>     greed is a very real temptation, but giving in to greed is morally
>     wrong.  Potential technical applications of such theories include
>     business directories as well as solutions to the spam problem.

This is what grabs me. I've seen too little on this. Have you read
sources, have you written sources on this? I've been considering
studying this some myself. I admit it comes as a reaction to some very
unhealthy trends in US business culture, most especially among
believers. How appropos we have this time of year with Dickens'
"Christmas Carol" to shine the light on the subject, if from a somewhat
mythical viewpoint.

>>a while back, and I had some thoughts.  Now, please be patient with
>>me.  I am not a business man at all and so I reserve the right to
>>gracefully find out that I do not know anything of what I am talking
>>about.  ;)

Me too, Tim!

I'm going to contemplate what you've set down here, Norbert. I will most
certainly pray with you about this, and discuss it as much as I can
handle. Your thoughts are rather developed, so I probably can't add
much, but I will certainly promote it on my blog, and work at producing
an article or two for wider consumption. The caveat is that I've had too
much success with FreeBSD to go back to using Linux much, but I
participate in the context of the wider FOSS community.

--
Ed Hurst