[CS-FSLUG] Just got hit with a cluestick

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Wed Dec 15 09:09:39 CST 2004

Ok, you got me curious.  I do a lot with free software (and even help develop
some) but I know I am not the guy you are looking for.  But I am quite curious
about your thoughts for a Free Software Business.

Do you already have a package you are thinking of starting, or will you snag an
existing package and work with that?

I looked at the freestrategy.info site that you had posted a link to a while
back, and I had some thoughts.  Now, please be patient with me.  I am not a
business man at all and so I reserve the right to gracefully find out that I do
not know anything of what I am talking about.  ;)

I think that there are a few areas that a Christian Free Software business can
do that a secular one would not.  The Christian community has a few extra sides
to it that are missing in the secular world.  For example, there is a funding
model where, instead of getting grants from a few large organizations, funding
comes from many committed individuals who are interested in providing a service
for a particular end-user.  (This is the typical missions model.  Each
missionary is supported by two to three hundred supporters, so the missionary
can provide some service).

Then, as a Christian Free Software business, one has the ability to expand the
target audience for the project.  For example, on CODN, we are trying to
encourage folks who make things like the esword project to make them
multi-lingual.  The hope is that they will be used by national pastors, and
third-world churches.  Right now there is a huge move towards getting hardware
to the third world, but there is very little software (that they can afford)
for them to use.  And who will translate it to Uighur?  (Squirrelmail, a
package originally created for missions has been translated into Uighur)

So, anyway, I see that Free Software has a crucial part in third world
development.  And I certainly have an interest in that.  So I am very
interested in hearing more about what you are thinking.  Not that I can do much
about it than pray for you...  :)

    - Tim Young