[CS-FSLUG] When do you update your distribution?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Dec 13 19:14:13 CST 2004

Don Parris wrote:

>I'll play the neutral-minded guy, and suggest that, if not SUSE, then
>Xandros (with the first-ever VPN wizard, if you need that), and a
>Windows-ish KDE environment.  It's also easy to install.  After that,
>it sounds like Mepis, Ubuntu, Knoppix, & Morphix.

Have you actually tried Xandros? I was one of the unfortunates who
purchased XD 2.0 Deluxe and I can tell you I'll never make that mistake
again, its got more bugs in it then an ant hill and some of the software
is so old rather than use a version number you have to get it carbon
dated. The software installer is also terrible most of the time you
can't install anything because some one of two of the packages you've
selected are dead or they're all dead. There are better alternatives to
Xandros, if you're really crazy enough to try Xandros make sure you've
tried Mandrake, SUSE, Fedora, Lycoris and Linspire first since those are
much better options. If you're looking for something user friendly then
Lycoris is what you're looking for, although it costs an arm and a leg
its much better than Xandros.

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/