[CS-FSLUG] Fedora overtakes Mandrake on Distrowatch!

Alvin Smith email at alvinsmith.com
Mon Dec 13 14:39:12 CST 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 02:57 pm, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 23:06 +0900, Daniel Miller wrote:
> > Sigh....if only Gentoo were number 1......
>
> And so begins the next good-natured distro war (These really are simply
> friendly banter. No offense intended, lest we be mis-understood. I will
> always argue for your right to be wrong!)
>
> :-) The truth is, that it is! The only people watching distrowatch are
>
> the ones still looking for the one true distro. Gentooists have, of
> course, found it and no longer need to watch for other distros to try or
> keep track of the upgrade cycle for their current one.
>
> Gentooists have more gnoble (pun intended) things to do like compiling
> the latest piece of software months before the other distros release a
> wersion that includes it. (No matter what you say about compile times, I
> can emerge even KDE before you can get it included in your latest distro
> of choice. And while I'm updating, I can work on other things on the
> same computer. Zero downtime for updates!)
>
> :-) I've been storing some thoughts for when this next came up. (-:
>
> hehe, ducking and covering ( cause asbestos underware is itchy! )

Well now!!  ;-)

So what makes Debian a superior distribution, you might ask?  It is actually 3
distros in one!  And has a huge library of available applications that are
easily installed without compiling!

And then there is this:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract.en.html

And this:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ap-manifesto.en.html

And no, it is no longer difficult to install.  What's that?  Oh, yes, I DO
have ALL of the latest and greatest of all applications.

:-)

peace,
--
Alvin Smith