[CS-FSLUG] When do you update your distribution?

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 02:57:54 CST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:56:53 -0500, Brian Derr <bderr at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:01:49AM -0500, Christopher Rose wrote:
>

> > I can't update. I am at the ceiling for what I am running for a
> > computer. Here are my system stats according to machine-update:
> >
> > accounts: 3
> > bogomips: 1061.68
> > cpu_family: 5
> > cpu_mhz: 533.547
> > cpu_model: 8
> > cpu_model_name: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
> > cpu_uname: i586
> > cpu_vendor: AuthenticAMD
> > disk: 27932
> > kernel: 2.4.20-8
> > memory: 152
> > method: machine-update version 0.17
> > name: localhost.localdomain
> > processors: 1
> > uniqueid: 802490888
> > uptime: 2:13
> > users: 1
> >
> > How could I possibly upgrade from Red Hat 9? I don't think it
> > possible as anything newer would probably not work very well if at
> > all.
>
> Spoken like a true Wintel user!  Give me a break.  You can run any linux
> distribution you want on that hardware.  The software is what is going
> to kill your speed.  The kernel isn't going to have any problems that it
> didn't already have with a different distro.
>
> All the glitz and glam of KDE 3.99123.152351.1!!! and GNOME 2.8.123.141,
> etc kill your speed.  If you run a simple window manager such as
> blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm, icewm, etc then you will have less problems
> with speed.  Of course if you're still running such hogs as OpenOffice
> or the like it'll still take some time to start up.
>
> Don't be fooled to think that your box can't keep up because it has a
> slow processor.  That is Wintel FUD.  I have a Compaq Prosignia 500
> sitting next to me that runs OpenBSD with a 150MHz processor and 150MB
> RAM like a champ!  Of course I don't have Xorg or anything like that
> installed it is just a server, but it does everything I need it to do
> and more.
>
> Sorry for the rant, I'm feeling wordy.  :-P
>
> Brian
>
> --
Actually, now that I'm looking at the CPU speed, You're absolutely
right, Brian!  I'm running SUSE 9.2 on some old P-II 540's w/192 MB
RAM.  I'm running KDE 3.3 as well, and it runs fine on these boxes.
Gnome does well, too.  They're not speedsters, for sure, but they
aren't all that slow, either!

DCP
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist