[CS-FSLUG] When do you update your distribution?

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Sun Dec 12 21:56:53 CST 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:01:49AM -0500, Christopher Rose wrote:
> I can't update. I am at the ceiling for what I am running for a
> computer. Here are my system stats according to machine-update:
>
> accounts: 3
> bogomips: 1061.68
> cpu_family: 5
> cpu_mhz: 533.547
> cpu_model: 8
> cpu_model_name: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
> cpu_uname: i586
> cpu_vendor: AuthenticAMD
> disk: 27932
> kernel: 2.4.20-8
> memory: 152
> method: machine-update version 0.17
> name: localhost.localdomain
> processors: 1
> uniqueid: 802490888
> uptime: 2:13
> users: 1
>
> How could I possibly upgrade from Red Hat 9? I don't think it
> possible as anything newer would probably not work very well if at
> all.

Spoken like a true Wintel user!  Give me a break.  You can run any linux
distribution you want on that hardware.  The software is what is going
to kill your speed.  The kernel isn't going to have any problems that it
didn't already have with a different distro.

All the glitz and glam of KDE 3.99123.152351.1!!! and GNOME 2.8.123.141,
etc kill your speed.  If you run a simple window manager such as
blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm, icewm, etc then you will have less problems
with speed.  Of course if you're still running such hogs as OpenOffice
or the like it'll still take some time to start up.

Don't be fooled to think that your box can't keep up because it has a
slow processor.  That is Wintel FUD.  I have a Compaq Prosignia 500
sitting next to me that runs OpenBSD with a 150MHz processor and 150MB
RAM like a champ!  Of course I don't have Xorg or anything like that
installed it is just a server, but it does everything I need it to do
and more.

Sorry for the rant, I'm feeling wordy.  :-P

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7