[CS-FSLUG] Networking failure

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 10 12:00:46 CST 2004

At 12:45 PM 12/10/04, Ed Hurst wrote:
> > A crossover cable would skip the switch. Would that help?
>
>Don't even know what that is. I tried connecting directly between the
>two NICs and got even worse results. I also tried three different brands
>of ether cards (someone sent me a mixed 10-pack).

If you look *very* closely inside the plastic connectors on your network
wires you should see one these two colour patterns: T568A or T568B - these
are the two "standards" for CAT5 cable.  When a cable uses T568A at one end
and T568B at the other end, then it is a "crossover" cable which means 1x6
and 2x3 send/receive wires are crossed - send at one end is connected to
receive at the other, instead of "straight through" cable - which is used
in most cases.

Some novice cable makers think that as long as both ends of the cable use
the same scheme, they have made a "straight-though" cable and everything
should be fine.  These people find out that there is a reason for
standards.  I've seen cases where this setup causes a 100Mbit/sec network
actually only runs at 10Mbit/sec.  Apparently the twisted pairs are then
twisted in such a way as to reduce interference when the right wire is used
for the right purpose (as determinied by pinouts at the end).

Frank