[CS-FSLUG] When do you update your distribution?

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 16:48:02 CST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:42:31 -0500, Alvin Smith <email at alvinsmith.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 01:39 am, N. Thompson wrote:
>

> > No, I'm sticking with Mandrake and Ark which I have now, I'm just
> > wondering at what point other people decide to upgrade from an older
> > version to a newer version (of the same distribution in my case but this
> > can also apply to people switching from one distribution to another) and
> > why they chose that time to do it, whether its to get the latest version
> > of whatever application, something they do on a regular basis, they may
> > simply upgrade out of curiosity or maybe they just like to run the
> > latest version.
>
> For me it was simply a matter of getting Bibletime/Gnomesword installed.  I
> had various compile errors with Fedora Core 2.  While I was setting up some
> older computers to run Debian Stable I found that installing Bibletime was a
> snap with Debian.  So I made the switch to Debian Sarge for my desktop system
> of choice.  And then because of curiosity, I installed SuSE on my laptop
> which also had Fedora Core 2 on it.
> --
> Alvin Smith

I mainly just wanted to come out of the stone ages.  I was running
SUSE 8.0, and few people seemed to even remember how to do things in
8.0.  Even though I still see the occasional SUSE 7.2 post, I just
felt the need to catch up a bit.  I got SUSE 8.0 back in 2002.  It
runs fine.  It's just old.  As an advocate, it helps to be up to date
on stuff.

I also had difficulty with installing SUSE 8.0 on the new primary box
with an NVidia card.  Couldn't get mouse to work at all, even when
Sax2 seemed to say it was configured correctly.  That's when I tried
Morphix-GNOME.  But SUSE 9.2 did fantastic, and was what led me to
eliminate Windows from my system.

I have to admit, I also wanted to see the new wizbang stuff in
GNU/Linux.  You know, if it glitters, shines, or flashes... :)

DCP
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/