[CS-FSLUG] My turn for being clueless

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Dec 7 14:22:37 CST 2004

Woah.  We have two different understandings here.  Most of the guys on this list
have been assuming that you were going to route through the Linux box.  The Windows
chap you mentioned assumes you are going to have the XP box connected directly to
the Internet via DSL or something (PPoE).

Now.  Most of us on this list are Linux guys and we will all agree that it is
better for security and everything to have the windows computer behind the linux,
and have the linux guy as a firewall.  Looking back at your original email, that is
the way you wanted to go originally.  Good move.  Toss out the Windows guy's
thoughts for now.  His info does not match up with what you are talking about.

The DHCP server would allow you to add multiple computers simply, but it is not
imperative to have.

What you need:
1) The unix box connecting to the Internet, dialing, etc.
2) IP address assigned to the unix box.
3) IP address assigned to the XP box.
4) the Unix box set up to "route packets"
5) a masquerading rule so that packets going from the XP box are natted.
6) I am assuming you have some firewalling on the unix box already...

(ARRRGGGG!!! I just did a lookup on the Internet to find what you need.  People
seem to agree you will need a kernel recompile...  Yuck!)

Ok.  Enough of my advice.  FreeBSD is lots different from the Linux I am used to
even though the process is similar.  Here are two links I found:

http://www.section6.net/help/nat.php
http://www.lugbe.ch/lostfound/contrib/freebsd_router/

    - Tim Young