[CS-FSLUG] Strange log messages

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Dec 7 09:43:40 CST 2004

Well, looking at the timestamps of being every 20 minutes, I would start looking
for the culprit in the cron.
there is a command, "logger" which allows anyone to drop a message into your
syslog from a command prompt or script.  There are other ways to put a message
there.  You could have a script running in the background that is sleeping for
20 minutes and then going off.  But I would bet you will find it in the cron.

Syslog, when the message comes from another computer, lists the computer name it
is coming from.  So the fact that all it lists is the name of your own computer
means that it is not coming from an external source.

    - Tim Young