[CS-FSLUG] Apache (gave up for tonight)

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 4 07:36:30 CST 2004

Nathan:  You didn't show us your config file.  David mentioned permissions
(remember than apache user must have access to all web content).  There can
be any number of issues getting that first page to work properly.  On Tim's
server, I've found that I must include the trailing slash in browser as in
http://localhost/~nathan/ when a filename is not specified.  Not sure why
that is (is Tim reading this?)  Apache will look for a couple of default
files (like index.htm[l] or index.php or homepage.htm[l], etc) based on
config file.  If none of these files exist, then apache will try to present
a directory listing (like ftp site); but will instead produce an error if
the option to allow directory listing is disabled.

Frank