[CS-FSLUG] Is KDE-look really worth it?

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 00:54:52 CST 2004

I've been thinking of trying some like
http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/ as I want to bring about 1000
photos of mine online ... don't know quite how well it works yet, but
the online demo seemed fairly promising.

One thing that I've been wondering about is a note in the product FAQ
regarding required placement of a "powered by ..." line of text at the
bottom of the page.
(http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php#buyLicense).

Anyways, their claim is that the GPL allows them to require this, but
I'm wondering if in fact this is the case or not (eg. I can disable
messages spit out upon startup by various processes.  I've heard
rumours that there's a new version of the GPL to be released fairly
shortly... I wonder if web-services is one thing that it will address.
 Given that they've stated this wish in their FAQ, if I were to decide
to use the software then I'd following the outline in the FAQ as well,
but my understanding of the current version of the GPL is that it does
not require this.  Ah well, a good time for a new GPL version I think,
to deal with all the issues raised by web-services.

I don't know why, but I strongly dislike it when program licenses
require me to output some text crediting them ... the funny thing is,
although I've avoided using packages that require this sort of thing,
I'll voluntarily put on a link to other packages.

(eg. I had a link to the PHP Nuke website on a website that I had
running that software ... when a new PHP Nuke version came out with a
license changed requiring a link, I decided never to use a new version
of PHP-Nuke)

David

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 00:15:57 -0500 (EST), linux at bmetzler.org