[CS-FSLUG] Is KDE-look really worth it?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 1 21:44:06 CST 2004

I'm sure quite a few of you have seen the recent poll at KDE-look about
people's favourite kinds of backgrounds, in case you don't know yet the
results are:

KDE promoting wallpaper     8%
Nature photo     24%
Image manipulations of photos / collages     5%
Simple drawings     11%
Sayings, quotes     1%
Fantasy     8%
Rendered objects     11%
Erotic background     15%
Anti-Microsoft/Anti-SCO wallpaper     9%
Other     9%
Votes:    1001

I'm glad to see that nature photos won but displeased to see that erotic
backgrounds took second place. KDE-look has become a dumping ground for
people's attempts at trying to push softcore porn as normal, in fact
there are several examples of art (if you could call it that) where
people have pictures of nude women with little or nothing censored.

I personally think its disgusting and to make things worse now I can't
check to see what legitimate artwork has been submitted to the site any
more because of the embarrassment of being on a site with that kind of
filth. Isn't it also unfortunate how someone can post a background with
hate-symbols (ex: swastika) on it and it'll get a higher rating then
Christian artwork simply because the people there have such an unfair
grudge towards Christianity, to top if off I've reported cases of abuse
where people have posted inappropriate comments towards Christian
artwork and yet the moderators have done nothing about it despite it
being an obvious breach of the web site's terms of use.

Am I the only one who thinks the Christian community would be better off
with a Desktop artwork web site of its own, something that not only
covers KDE and its applications but also Gnome/GTK and other window
managers, it seems to me that putting Christian artwork that will be
voted down almost to the point of going below the 20% limit the site has
before content is no longer shown is like casting pearls before swine.
Or I've got another interesting idea which could have an interesting
effect, what if several Christian artists got together and decided to
make a bunch of Christian artwork and then posted it all on the same
day, its not hostile and its not harming anyone however it will replace
most of the content on the front pages with Christian art, to make
things even more interesting e-mail all your Christian friends and have
them vote the Christian artwork as good to push the rating up :-) .

BTW. I've heard very little of Everaldo lately, anyone know what
happened to him, maybe he's finished with KDE artwork? if I'm not
mistaken Everaldo was a Christian although his artwork was neutral.

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/