[CS-FSLUG] Suse 9 and Cable modems...

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:53:46 CST 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:52:58 GMT, timbrown at ichristian.com
<timbrown at ichristian.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone is familiar with one that will work with Suse?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

I don't think you will have too many issues with cable modems. In my
area, Cox Cable provides cable access.  With the modems provided and
approved by Cox, they use the modems MAC address to get a DHCP
assigned IP address from Cox.  Then I believe that the modem uses DHCP
to assign the IP to the workstation.  I don't have cable, but DSL
(which I have heard of issues with various modems)  I set up a
Smoothwall firewall for a friend, and all I had to do was connect the
modem (Motorola Surfboard) to the coax, let it "boot up" and get it's
IP, and then I brought up the Smoothwall, allowing it to receive it's
IP via DHCP, and everything worked fine.  No account names, passwords
or anything like that.  The only thing that needed any kind of
configuration was informing Cox of the MAC address of the modem.  If
the cable company requires some form of authentication, I don't know
what to tell you - other than take a look at the documentation for the
Mac side.  It may gives some hints as to whether Linux will work.  I
think they are all fairly standard now, so that the small
firewall/routers make by companies such as Linksys(Cisco) and Netgear
will work.  Hope this helps.

Brad