[CS-FSLUG] Not like the world

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Wed Dec 1 16:55:12 CST 2004

Alvin Smith wrote:
> Brothers,
>
> Please forgive me if I am out of order here.
>
> I have two issues:
>
> 1.  Our response to B Gates.
> 2.  Our response to MS vs Linux.
>
> As Christians, does anyone disagree that our response to BG is to love him?
> Matt 5:48.  Verbal abuse gets us nowhere.  The World responds this way.  We
> however have been called out. to respond in a decidedly differrent manner,
> like Christ.  How does the use of verbal assault against BG promote the cause
> of Jesus Christ or the concept of "Kingdom Building"?
>
> Our enemy is not BG, nor is it MS, nor is it any flesh.  Eph 6:12.
>
> How can we maintain that one OS is evil and another is virtuous based on men
> and their motivations?  How many know that Linus is an atheist?  Software is
> just a tool that is to be used for the glory of God and for the building of
> His Kingdom regardless of the licensing philosophy.
>
> Before you drive a nail, do you always stop to contemplate the motives of the
> maker of the hammer?
>
> Yes, I choose Linux.  Not because I hate MS, but because I believe it is
> better.  I also believe it is the best choice for the Church as well for many
> reasons.
>
> II Cor 5:18-20 surely guides us in our response to the machinations of the
> world system.
>
> peace,

Thanks for your clear thoughts Alvin.  I am new to the list and after
reading several exchanges, I knew this had to be dealt with at times.
I'm sure it wouldn't be the last.  You most definitely are not out of
line by your rebuke!  We are here to be accountable to one another.  If
we didn't speak up to correct, then we too are aiding in this behavior.
  I thank God for forgiving us for our past and even future sins.  This
includes Mr. Gates.

I am from Montana and am planning to start an Linux affinity group
(Faithful LUG) next month (January 18th 2005).  I thought I would search
the web for other Christian Linux groups and to my surprise there are so
few.  I hope to learn much from the list.  I would love for others to
pray for this group also.  First off that there will be others
interested in attending.  Secondly that it will follow the Lords plan.

Thank you and may God bless,
--
Warren Sanders
Family Photo Galleries