[CS-FSLUG] PD: A personal view

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Aug 27 14:05:36 CDT 2004

A personal view

  This is for real. Laura Lefler works in Sen. Alexander's office, and
 she confirmed that she wrote it and is now overwhelmed with it
 spreading via the internet. She sent it to several friends,  and they
 then put it on its journey.

 Subject: Bush in church, Very interesting

    I'm at the 8:00am service at my church, St. John's Episcopal, at

    Lafayette Square, across from the White House. (I wanted to go
    early because I was going with Alice and Brent for breakfast at
    the Cracker Barrel in Manassas.) Much of the service was
    uneventful-nice, but uneventful-until it comes to the part of
    the service when the priest says, "Greet one another in the name
   of the Lord." I turn to my right to exchange the peace with my
    friend, Amy Fox Smythe, who was on the other end of my pew. I
    then shake hands with the person in front of me, and turn around

    to say hello to the person behind me. The person behind me was
    our 43rd President George W. Bush. I am not kidding. A small
    crowd was forming around him, and not wanting to delay the
    church service or bother him by waiting to shake his hand, I
    turned back around and sat down and talked to Amy. About 30
    seconds later I felt a hand on my left shoulder and turn around
    to seePresident Bush with his hand extended. "Peace of the Lord,"
    he said and held my hand with both of his. "Peace of the Lord,"
    I replied, and held both his hands and smiled at him.

    I turned back around and was remarkably calm about the fact that the most
powerful person in the world was sitting two feet behind me.  I could hear
him flipping through his bulletin as the priest made the announcements. I
loved the idea of him thinking, "Oh, there's a covered dish next Sunday."

    We prayed and when I stood up to go to the communion rail, he
    got up and walked down the aisle behind me. We passed a little
    old lady who said, "Mr. President, I pray for you every day." To which he
said, "That's a very special gift.   Thank you so much." We got to the
communion rail , and there were two spaces, one in front of us and one around
the side of the altar.

    We both surmised for ten seconds, and then I started off around
    the corner. He stopped me and whispered, "No, no.   I'll go
    around" and motioned for me to take the closer spot.

    The only 'exception' made in the entire service was that the
    President was allowed to leave first, and then the rest of the
    congregation followed.

    With all sincerity, and partisanship aside I tell you: This is a special
    man! There is a peace and a 'Godliness' about him. It radiates from him.
It is the only reason that I was able to remain calm. It was more than the
adrenaline I've felt when I've met other famous people. A goodness flows
through this man. He has more than my vote in November.
    He has my respect, my prayers, and my gratitude.  Whatever your political
    affiliation, and whether or not you agree with his decisions, you should
take comfort in the fact that-despite recent press attacks-this is a man of
'integrity' who makes decisions because he believes that they are RIGHT, not
popular. He makes these decisions with a heavy heart and through prayer.

    I don't mean to go on, and on, but I truly believe this was a blessing
from God that should be passed on.

    Laura Lefler
    Office of Senator Lamar Alexander
    302 Hart Senate Office Building
    202-224-4944
    fax: 202-228-3398

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."