[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent Linux crash

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Wed Aug 25 08:06:12 CDT 2004

Ruth, thanks for replying.

Then, you know you're on the console. Just a hypothetical question: do
you have any valuable information on KDE? I might suggest you a quick
and dirty trick to reconfigure KDE, but then you would have to
re-configure it again (i.e., set up your KMail email accounts, desktop
icons, wallpapers, all over again). Would it be OK with you?

Meanwhile, I have some tricks to show you.

First of all, you need to go to the console. Type Ctrl-Alt and a
function key between F1 and F6 to get you the console prompt.

You will see something like:

Mandrake Linux Release 9.1 (Whatever)
Linux 2.4.19-25mdk

login:

There, supply your username and password.

Then you will see your console prompt, something like:

[ruth at localhost ruth] $

Now, get the root prompt. Type the 'su' command. When the command asks
you for a password, supply your *root* password.

Then, your console prompt should look like:

[root at localhost ruth] #

The '#' prompt means you're root now.

Then kill the X Window System (it is necessary for our manipulation) by
typing the command 'telinit 3'. This kills X Window and leaves you with
a bare console (no graphical mode at all).

Once you killed the graphical mode, clear the screen typing Ctrl-L
because we would like to get rid of those funny messages which appeared
when you typed 'telinit 3'. Now, get into the Mandrake Control Center,
console version, by typing 'drakconf'.

At this time, I don't remember it clearly, but you will have a menu. Go
look for an item named "X Configuration", "Video Configuration", or
"Graphical mode configuration". You get the idea. Follow the
instructions to re-configure the X window system.

When you're finished, exit the Mandrake Control Center. In the root
prompt, type now 'telinit 5'. You should get the graphical login screen
all over again.

Is it all OK now? I'm awaiting your answer...

Eduardo

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 23:09, linux at rmf.mailshell.com wrote:
> Thanks, Eduardo!
>

> > Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
> >
> >> I am, if I can say so, a kind of Mandrake veteran, so I might try a
hand on helping you. Your system appears to be really hosed!

> >> my login and password... now what?
> >> Did you get a prompt that looks something in the level of:
> >>
> >> [ruth at localhost ruth] $ ...?
> >>
> >> If that's the case, then you got into the console.
> >>
> Oh good. Then I had the console.
>
> >> How do you usually start the graphical environment (KDE)? Do you
log in using a graphical window, or do you type the "startx" command to
start the environment?

> >> I would like to have this information so that I could be of further
help to you.

> Okay, when I installed Mandrake it set up to go directly into the KDE
graphical environment.  There was enough of  a Windows feel so that I
thought I was catching on quickly, however, I didn't learn much about
doing commands at the console prompt. I joined the Linmodems group for
a while until they walked me through getting a modem driver and setting
it up so I could go online from within Mandrake. But the one scientific
prof from Israel put the fear of God into me about typing just anything
at random in the console at the root user prompt.  So I was careful to
just follow instructions. I expected gradually to learn more and more
commands... only this happened first. :)

> Any suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated. The one
thing that encourages me is how Linux people are willing to help each
other out.

> Blessings &Thanks,
> Ruth
>
> When you meet Ruthe and her Friend -
> You've got Friends! http://www.Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
>                        \o/
> P.S. Buy it & it's on its way to you within 48 hours!
> http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RSR.html
> or as e-book to download right away -
> http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/rsr/Intro.html
>
> P.S.S. Get Refreshing Dew in my RoseBouquet
> http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RoseBouquet/index.html

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 Alike for those who for TO-DAY prepare,
 And those that after a TO-MORROW stare,
   A Muezzin from the Tower of Darkness cries
 "Fools! your Reward is neither Here nor There."

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam