[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent Linux crash

linux at rmf.mailshell.com linux at rmf.mailshell.com
Tue Aug 24 22:09:19 CDT 2004

Thanks, Eduardo!

> Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
>
>> I am, if I can say so, a kind of Mandrake veteran, so I might try a hand on helping you. Your system appears to be really hosed!
>>
>> Were you able to go into a text-based console? You said:
>>

>>> However, NumLock with Ctl+Alt did bring on the command line. I put in
>>
>> my login and password... now what?
>> Did you get a prompt that looks something in the level of:
>>
>> [ruth at localhost ruth] $ ...?
>>
>> If that's the case, then you got into the console.

Oh good. Then I had the console.

>> How do you usually start the graphical environment (KDE)? Do you log in using a graphical window, or do you type the "startx" command to start the environment?
>>
>> I would like to have this information so that I could be of further help to you.

Okay, when I installed Mandrake it set up to go directly into the KDE graphical environment.  There was enough of  a Windows feel so that I thought I was catching on quickly, however, I didn't learn much about doing commands at the console prompt. I joined the Linmodems group for a while until they walked me through getting a modem driver and setting it up so I could go online from within Mandrake. But the one scientific prof from Israel put the fear of God into me about typing just anything at random in the console at the root user prompt.  So I was careful to just follow instructions. I expected gradually to learn more and more commands... only this happened first. :)

Any suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated. The one thing that encourages me is how Linux people are willing to help each other out.

Blessings &Thanks,
Ruth

When you meet Ruthe and her Friend -
You've got Friends! http://www.Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
                       \o/
P.S. Buy it & it's on its way to you within 48 hours!
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RSR.html
or as e-book to download right away -
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/rsr/Intro.html

P.S.S. Get Refreshing Dew in my RoseBouquet
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RoseBouquet/index.html