[CS-FSLUG] Extranet solution

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Aug 23 06:15:42 CDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 19:33, listmail at rotundus.com wrote:
> Quoting "David M." <dave at edificationweb.com>:
>
> > Well, I am looking for a way (if it's possible) to be able to log onto this
> > extranet without having to wait forever for the thousands of pdf forms to
> > load and only grab the pdf's that is needed.
>
> Are all these PDFs being downloaded, or is it simply taking that long for a
> directory listing to display?

Maybe they are "pre-loading" the PDFs? That's an area that I don't know
a thing about, but know it's possible using a little Javascript. It's
often done with images. I don't think it would make sense to do it with
PDFs even on an Intranet.

Take a look at the code. If you could provide the sub-contractors with
specific complaints about the cause of the slowness, maybe it would
help. Is it possible that both sides simply don't know how to make a
website outside of "Save As HTML" in word?

You could always turn "grey hat" on them and hack your way in to solve
the problem. They might not even notice. :-) Or you could submit a nice
HTML Table to replace the current one via more acceptable methods. If
that fails, you could always setup your own server with links to their
resources.

JSR/

DISCLAIMER: Not all statements coming from my fingers originated in my
head. I can not be held responsible for the irresponsibility of my
flesh. By reading this you indicate agreement. :-)