[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea Chapter 1

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Thu Aug 19 08:36:02 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 09:20, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 15:40, Ed Hurst wrote:
> >

> >>(Keep in mind, I have a tremendous difficulty memorizing addresses for
> >>references -- it's not how my brain works. I'm hoping you'll recognize
> >>the references.)
> >
> > I have that same issue. My wife is great at references and I have to
> > work really hard and over a length of time to get things to stick. Bible
> > college forced some in (Gen. 3:15; Ex. 20), but I'm still amazed at the
> > people who pull support references for an on-the-spot discussion for
> > 15min straight and think I know exactly what they are talking about. :-)
>
> I am told that part of the reason is that we have a non-standard memory
> framework. I can most certainly remember content, including massive
> minor details, but I'm fortunate to remember who wrote what. If you ask
> me a content-related question, I am confident I can respond.

Exactly! I've often said that it's more about understanding the content
then being able to repeat it from rote memory. I can rarely tell you
exactly what you just said, but I can tell you what I thought you meant
to convey. Consequently, I still haven't managed to fully memorize the
multiplication tables (despite significant effort on the part of many),
but I did find physics and pre-calculus (high school) to make a lot of
sense.

Do you have any kind of reference materials to read up on this
"non-standard memory"? Who differentiated you from "standard memory"?
Nowadays, if I complained about it, I'd expect to get labeled "learning
disabled" but I think that's a cop-out. I expect if I could gain a
better understanding, I could wield this gift more aptly (hopefully to
God's glory and not my own).

> > I often ask my wife where to find a verse I'm looking for. She's a great
> > concordance (and wife too)!
>
> Wise choice. I, too, find myself frequently "rescued" by mine over the
> years. She does so well the things at which I fail.

God is good, he may have re-tasked parts of our memory for a different
function, but he replaced it (and so much more) upon marriage. :-) I
learn a bit more what it means to be missing a part of yourself when my
wife is gone. Praise the Lord for his goodness.

JSR/