[CS-FSLUG] Help Me Keep Outlook Out (of My Church's Office)

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Tue Aug 17 13:18:26 CDT 2004

On the pastor's computer story, that's surely not good. I think you
should simply try to convince the computer administrator to enforce a
ban of Microsoft software citing concerns with license auditing,
viruses, and several other related issues. And have everyone there
using it.

You even might propose a good standard GNU/Linux desktop. I would
propose mandrake, but it has become too clunky and buggy. Fedora and
Suse would be good, but their performance is really substandard, their
hardware requirements stiffer, and they have issues of their own.

What I would suggest is perhaps to use a customized Debian distro, or
Slackware (and btw, Part III of the Stealth Desktop series is on the
queue with some tips).

That standard GNU/Linux desktop could be offered in three flavors:
1. GNOME: for those choosing eye candy and industrial usability.
2. KDE: For those choosing eye candy, lots of features, great
customizability and apps.
3. IceWM: For those choosing raw speed with an easy to use interface.

What would you think?

About the whiners: There are going to be whiners. Remember the
journalist that used to write about GNU/Linux after installing RH 6.2,
finding it didn't work in this or that sort of way, and saying later
"Linux is dead" ? Same in this case.

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 12:03, Timothy R.Butler wrote:
> I tried moving one pastor's computer to GNU/Linux earlier this year --
> he got jealous of those who had Windows XP and insisted switching
back.
> *sigh* Since he fussed about it, GNU/Linux now has a bad name in the
> church office.
>
> I'm hoping to establish a non-Windows beachhead by getting our music
> director a new system one of these days. She is an avid Mac user, and
> I'm quite sure if she was toting around a snazzy little PowerBook,
> others might start to think maybe there are alternatives to Windows.
> :-)
>
> 	-Tim
>

> On Aug 17, 2004, at 6:42 AM, bondservant at thebondservant.org wrote:
>
> > Even if they do switch to a full exchange server, it would be
possible
> > to use a more secure client with Evolution and Evolution connector
> > (this is the Gnome mail client).  Evolution connector is a plugin
that
> > allows Evolution to work with Exchange servers and use most of the
> > exchange server features.  Novell recently released it GPL where it
> > was not before.
> > http://www.novell.com/products/connector/
> >
> > This of course requires a Linux computer but could be a good
argument
> > for Linux if someone's looking for one.  Most of the Echange server
> > functionality, with Novell expanding its compatibility with Exchange
> > servers in the Q3 2004 release of Evolution.
> >
> > As previously mentioned Susie's openexchange server is a very viable
> > alternative as well.   It allows interaction with Outlook clients.
> > Though using Outlook you still have security nightmare that it is.
It

--
Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America