[OFB Cafe] SSDs

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Nov 28 13:24:45 CST 2011

Hi, Jens,

> There are kits online which allow you to exchange the internal Macbook DVD drive for a 2,5“ enclosure which would fit a second HDD.

I thought about that, although I hate to dump the drive (I actually use it relatively often for ripping recorded audio for sites I manage). I saw a few companies are working on optical drives that also have an SSD within the unit, but I couldn't find one available yet...

> Then you could have a 256G SSD for the system and maybe your home directory and the 750GB HDD for your Documents, Movies, Pictures folders.

	Alas my photo library has grown too large: 580 or so GB right now.

> My iPhoto library just about fits on the 256G SSD. I only had to remove the Movies folder, but that is no problem - at home, our 3TB NAS takes care of that; and on the road I only take a selection with me anyway.

	What brand of NAS are you using, by the way?

	Best,
		Tim