[OFB Cafe] SSDs

Patrick Shanahan patrick.shanahan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 22:23:52 CST 2011

* Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> [11-27-11 22:40]:

> While I'm here: I'm tired of the slow 500 GB drive in my MacBook Pro. I
> think it might also have issues.  Sometimes the system becomes unable to
> write to the drive or things grind close to a halt.  The fsck checks
> have always come up clean, but it acts like something is wrong.  Weird.
>
> In any case, in part, it is just slow, which is bad for pushing through
> bunches of RAW photos.  I thought about going with a hybrid drive, but
> kept waiting for a 1tb Momentus XT...  which has never appeared.
> Finally, I've decided I'd be OK without more space -- that more speed
> would be better.

You will be amazed at the speed difference.

> So, I'm looking at an SSD. I'm leaning towards a Crucial (Micron) 512 GB
> drive,

Crucial or Intel seem to be the cream.

> but I'm not sure I can quite justify pulling the trigger on the
> price.  Yet, with 160 GB of data already on my drive (not including my
> photos, which are mostly stored on a FW800 drive), 256 GB sounds too
> small if the drive is going to last for any length of time.
>
> Thoughts on capacity and, most importantly, brand? Would the Crucial
> drive be a good choice?  Circuit City has the 512 GB one for $729.  I've
> seen the 256 GB one for well under $400...

I have an IBM 120gb sata6 in my recent desktop and in March it was +$400.
I only use it for system, everything else is on mirrored sata3 2T drives.
Go for the 256gb but take care what you put onto it, ie: system files,
executables and temp and log files.  That will give your system the
greatest lift  :^)

gud luk,

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member