[OFB Cafe] SSDs

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Nov 27 21:35:41 CST 2011

Hi everyone,
While I'm here: I'm tired of the slow 500 GB drive in my MacBook Pro. I think it might also have issues. Sometimes the system becomes unable to write to the drive or things grind close to a halt. The fsck checks have always come up clean, but it acts like something is wrong. Weird.

In any case, in part, it is just slow, which is bad for pushing through bunches of RAW photos. I thought about going with a hybrid drive, but kept waiting for a 1tb Momentus XT... which has never appeared. Finally, I've decided I'd be OK without more space -- that more speed would be better.

So, I'm looking at an SSD. I'm leaning towards a Crucial (Micron) 512 GB drive, but I'm not sure I can quite justify pulling the trigger on the price. Yet, with 160 GB of data already on my drive (not including my photos, which are mostly stored on a FW800 drive), 256 GB sounds too small if the drive is going to last for any length of time.

Thoughts on capacity and, most importantly, brand? Would the Crucial drive be a good choice? Circuit City has the 512 GB one for $729. I've seen the 256 GB one for well under $400...

Thanks,
Tim