[OFB Cafe] Resurrecting an old debate

Donald Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 17 09:24:59 CST 2011

Hello Jens,

Glad to hear you are getting on with your life in such a spendid
manner.  Welcome to home-ownership! <grin>  A house has to have kids...
(wink-wink)

I'll answer your question with another question.... What makes you think
that he OSS movement is the operant rather than the resultant?

I think Linux and it's cousins (BSD??) have had a wide "effect", just
not the one visualized by many early developers.  As a desktop, it has
always been second tier, but as a server system, and embedded system it
has become top-tier.  A "work-alike" is now on the Macs, and what about
Android storming the cell phone appliance world?  Beowulf Clusters??
Many small universities now have "super computer" capability that was
beyond their reach before.   But these are just examples of the "trees",
I think you should back off and focus on the "forest"!

The "forest" for me is the general drift towards more and more
collaboration in society.  Almost everything we see happening around us
is a result of this.  The old "omniscient dictator"  meme is slowly
fading away, and being replaced by more democratic entities.  I see this
in business, where transient "teams" are formed to solve a problem then
dissolved after the job is done and the members move on to other
"teams".    I saw this happening with my kids as they passed through
school... they would pool their resources with their friends to achieve
a group goal.  This has always been done to a degree via the church,
government mandate (taxes and welfare) and charity.  But in my kids it
was taken to a new level.  In many ways, the OSS movement is just a
group pooling their resources (in computing) to achieve a group goal...
a "better" OS. (BTW what is "better"?  fuzzy math maybe needed?)

Speaking of the disappointment of UN-fullfilled dreams  (Linux Desktop)
I mentioned before, I don't see it as a "failure"!  The fact that the
general ideas of OSS have been accepted by society and the product
adapted to other environments says it was quite a success!.  I am
reminded of the story of the development of most of our drugs used in
modern medicine.  Most uses today are the result of serendipity!
Isoniazid (INH), a primary medicine used in the treatment of
Tuberculosis, was originally formulated to be an anti-psychotic to be
used on mental patients!  The scientists were dismayed to see it was of
absolutely NO use in Mental conditions, but those patients with TB got
better!  After a huddle, the study was re-directed towards TB
treatment!   Minoxidil was originally intended to treat high blood
pressure, which is does... mildly.  Some of the investigators noted the
a men with male pattern baldness seemed to start growing hair... once
again a slight re-direction and the drug companies had a winner!!  All
this is to say, "SO WHAT that Linux isn't a popular Desktop".

I tend to view life and the things involved with life as a series of a
multitude "cause and effect" couplets.  Certain thing MJST happen before
something else can happen.  I think the OSS movement was a result of
some earlier "thing"  and has produced the "results" we see today.
Today's results will 'cause' something new to form.  The mistake is to
try to define what the next result will be.  Too often we are
constrained by our current world (think box), and only those that can
"think outside the box" can even hope to envision the next "result".  I
have not met too many of those people  in my life...  I think these
people are the true "geniuses"

That's my two cents off the top of my head... It will probably change
tomorrow so don't bother making me defend it! <grin>

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-