[OFB Cafe] Creating an Intentional VNC Payload

Donald Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 8 00:29:13 CST 2011

Elegant idea, but complex.  Here are a couple of alternatives:

1.  Clone the Hard Disk and run it on another working computer (probably
a good idea anyway for backup and it IS an old computer!)
2.  Install another working Video card... any one that can do basic VGA
or XGA should work.  IIRC Win 98 has a decent set of generic VGA drivers.

I think I have a few old VGA cards laying around if you want one...

How do you know the video card isn't working?   Can you see any of the
boot stuff?  Can you get into the setup screen?  Is is possible that the
Mother Board battery is Kaput?  This can really mess up a boot ...  I
personally have never blown a video card... nor have I seen one blown.
That doesn't make it impossible of course!

Once you get a video capability on that computer, then the rest is
easy.  There is a VNC server version that works on Windows too, but
Win98 might be a bit old.  I have always had problems with the VNC
server running on Windows locking up on me.  I have something here I
have been using called Team Viewer  that is free for non-commercial
use.  It allows me to take control of my brother's computer and "fix" it
when he needs it... same for my non-tech daughter!  It is a VERY good
remote control program!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-