[OFB Cafe] SSDs

Patrick Shanahan patrick.shanahan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:57:40 CST 2011

* Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> [12-12-11 20:49]:
> 	Sorry, Jens, somehow I missed your really helpful post below.
> 	That's very interesting.  I bit the bullet and bought a Crucial
> 	M4.  So far, it is amazing how much faster it is (I think).  I
> 	started up from a cold boot in 18 seconds this morning, for
> 	example.  At one point during a file copy, it burst to over 1.2
> 	GB/s, according to Activity Monitor.
>
> 	Next question: other than the fact that the system information
> 	tool lists TRIM as being supported (after I followed the patch
> 	mentioned online), is there a good way to tell if TRIM is actually
> 	working?

cron job:

0 4 * * *     /sbin/fstrim / ;/sbin/fstrim /home ; /sbin/fstrim /var
10 4 * * *    /sbin/fstrim /srv ; /sbin/fstrim /boot

and good to go  :^)
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member