[OFB Cafe] windows (of opportunity)

Donald Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 3 03:31:44 CST 2009

Thanks Terrance, Rick.

I am not quite as "depressed" as I probably came across in my post.
Depressed is the correct word, but it is NOT a "Clinical Depression" as
in how the term is usually used.
I am not ready for medication just yet!  Maybe "down" is a better term...

It happens to me about this time every year due to a confluence of the
winter solstice (lack of sunlight) and a significant event for me in Jan
1967.
This "baseline" is modulated by other events like the economy,
elections, holidays, family and the "slings of age".
I always start perking up about the time the spring blooms and buds
start to come out, which is right about now down here.

If you have ever seen Peter Sellers in "Being There" playing Chance, the
Gardener (later morphed by others into "Chauncey Gardiner"), his words
of wisdom about the cycle of the seasons seem particularly apropos.  As
I go through this season of reflection, I once again realize how little
I know now and knew then, and just how "lucky" I have been to have
survived this long!  Spring is the season of re-vitalization, according
to Chauncey, and it has been for me.

Good idea, Terrance!  A "project" is perhaps what we need to get our
minds on other things...

Here is something I became acquainted with last November:
http://segs4vets.org/Disability
I attended the ceremony here in San Antonio, and came away seriously
impressed with the mettle and courage of those disabled young veterans.
I would imagine with NATO involvement in Afghanistan, there will be a
need for similar programs beyond the US.
Regardless of your feelings on War, these young men and women need our
help (and respect).
This is one way...  The economy may hurt this particular effort, but the
need is still there...

Question:  How can we continue to be "charitable" when our funds are
drying up?  The Charities over here are in for a BIG hit, IMHO.

Submitted for consideration & debate.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-