[OFB Cafe] Less Bars in More Places: AT&T Network Upgrades Degrade 2G Performance

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Jan 3 01:07:55 CST 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 1:01 AM, Donald Spoon wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Thanks!  How do you know if your phone is 2G or 3G capable?  I just
> got the wife a Nokia 6085 cell phone for Christmas, and wonder if I
> did the right thing... We are doing the "GoPhone" thing with AT&T,
> and are not committed to any contract.  Any other info you can
> provide is most welcome!
>
> -Don Spoon-

Hi Don,
Glad to be of service! The Nokia 6085 appears to be a 2G phone (it has
GSM/GPRS/EDGE). In theory, like most North American cell phones, it
can pick up the 1900 MHz band, but the band isn't as robust as 850,
so...

Amongst Go Phones, the Sony Ericsson Z750a ($69) and Samsung A737
($74) appear to be 3G phones. I like Sony Ericsson phones generally,
although Nokia makes probably the best "simple" cell phones I've ever
seen. They work great as plain old phones.

One option would be to buy an unlocked 3G phone, perhaps a Nokia, and
stick a Go Phone SIM card into it, although I'm not sure if you can
find a good deal on one...

It could be your area is just fine too. But if you notice "dead zones"
it is quite possibly due to this issue and not actual lack of coverage.

Hope this helps!

Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis