[OFB Cafe] If you are planning to buy stuff from LG ...

wolfgang zerrmayr wolfi_z at gmx.net
Fri Sep 26 15:18:03 CDT 2008

... you might be interested in my story ...

My LG laptop display faded on Tuesday Sept. 09th in the evening, after having
worked w/o problems on Monday, Sept 08th.
There was no sign of external damage, also the machine had been left in the
hotel room on that very Tuesday. The laptop was just bought in July 2008.

Here is what LG has to say about it. Note that the currency is Euro, so you
would have to multiply it with one-point-something to get the amount in USD.

> Sertronics B.V.
> P.v.m.G. Rood 18 - 22
> 6666 LT Heteren
> Phone 026 472 37 25</
> Fax 026 472 32 54
> info-bnl at sertronics.com
> http://www.sertronics.nl
>
> Authorized LG Service Center
>
> Cost Estimate Nr. 125008
> Date 16.09.2008
>
> Your Reference RNE080910049328
>
> Client ID 8355
>
> Delivery type DHL (COD)
> Incoming Date 15.09.2008
>
> Notebook P300-U
> Serial Nr.: 805KIKX001021
>
> Accessory:
>
> (1) proof of warranty (1) batteries
>
> Thanks a lot for your repair order. Our technician examined your
> equipment. We recommend the following repair to you, on which we
> grant 6 months of warranty.
>
> LCD is cracked. This is not covered in warranty
>
> Amount (EUR)
>
> Total Parts  275.00
> Total labour 60.00
> Effective Repair Price 335.00
> Forwarding expenses 40.00
> Subtotal excl. VAT  375.00
> VAT  0.00
> Invoice Amount incl. VAT 375.00
>
> Appraisal costs in case of rejection 45.00
>
> Your descision (Please mark your selection) Amount (EUR)
>
> Execute estimate   375.00
>
> Return product withour repair (appraisal costs and forwarding
> expenses will be charged)   85.00
>
> Dispose product duly (appraisal costs will be charged) 45.00
>
> Estimate is valid 10 days. Please answer within this period.

Either aliens must have cracked this display in my absence or LG is telling
bullshit.
They are selling a laptop to my company for 1000+ Euro, then the display
breaks on its own (having experienced absolutely zero violence or whatever)
and we should pay another 375 Euro?

LG -> Never again :-(

KR ... Wolfi