[OFB Cafe] Voltage for a PATA DVD Burner

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Tue Sep 16 15:44:40 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> 	OK. Yes, I may be asking about current. Electricity is definitely not
> my forte. The big question I am trying to look into is why a
> particular computer keeps killing optical drives. I was wondering if
> it could be supplying them with too much power... Thoughts?

Ah, OK.  Yeah, under- or over-voltage does rude things to electronics -
but you'd likely see problems with other components since the +12V rail
at least is used all over the place.  The +5V rail isn't used nearly as
much these days but it's still worth checking.

Any halfway sane multimeter should be able to show if the +5V or +12V
lines are badly off (don't recall offhand what the formal ATX specs say,
but +/- 3-5% should be fine) - simply poke the black probe into one of
the 4-pin HDD/optical power connectors on a black lead, and the red
probe into on a red (+5V, IIRC) or yellow (+12V IIRC) lead while the
system is running.

-kgd