[OFB Cafe] Voltage for a PATA DVD Burner

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Sep 16 15:11:49 CDT 2008

> For power, it should be the same as any other optical drive - +12V
> and +5V.
>
> I think you're asking about current though - it's probably a bit
> higher
> than then 1.2A at 5V/1.5A at 12V I see listed on a 56x CDROM I have handy.
>
> Most devices should have this info on a label on the top.

	OK. Yes, I may be asking about current. Electricity is definitely not
my forte. The big question I am trying to look into is why a
particular computer keeps killing optical drives. I was wondering if
it could be supplying them with too much power... Thoughts?

	Thanks!

Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas