[OFB Cafe] Voltage for a PATA DVD Burner

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Sep 16 15:13:27 CDT 2008

> What am I missing here?  Isn't the "PATA" just the old ATA interface
> renamed?

	Yup, that's the one.

> Are you looking for the Power specs?  If so, you probably should
> look in
> your documentation for the device or on-line at the device's
> manufacturer.   Which product are you asking about (manufacturer)?

	It is a LITEON DVD-RW with LightScribe (20x). I'm wondering how much
power the computer should be feeding to the unit versus how much the
unit is actually receiving (I thought I'd try to test the wiring going
into the optical drive...).

> If you are looking for the TTL signal levels on the data line, just
> look
> at the ATA spec.   I "think" the data lines are 5 volt TTL signals.
> That is why there is a length limit on ATA lines of about 18 inches.
> The cable capacitance gets too large and starts distorting the pulse
> wave forms that produces errors.  This gets worse the higher the
> switched frequency and is improved with a bit of shielding, like in
> the
> 80 conductor cables.

	Hmm... thanks for the tips -- those should be helpful!

Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald