[OFB Cafe] Voltage for a PATA DVD Burner

Donald R Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 13 16:36:23 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> Does anyone know off hand how much voltage should be supplied from a
> computer to a PATA burner?
>
> 	Thanks,
> 		Tim

What am I missing here?  Isn't the "PATA" just the old ATA interface
renamed?

Are you looking for the Power specs?  If so, you probably should look in
your documentation for the device or on-line at the device's
manufacturer.   Which product are you asking about (manufacturer)?

If you are looking for the TTL signal levels on the data line, just look
at the ATA spec.   I "think" the data lines are 5 volt TTL signals.
That is why there is a length limit on ATA lines of about 18 inches.
The cable capacitance gets too large and starts distorting the pulse
wave forms that produces errors.  This gets worse the higher the
switched frequency and is improved with a bit of shielding, like in the
80 conductor cables.

-Don Spoon-