[OFB Cafe] Sarah Palin: She's not ready

Steven Hatfield stevenhatfield at mac.com
Sat Sep 13 17:21:38 CDT 2008

I have been pretty quiet about this Sarah Palin issue, but I think
I'll chime in a little here, to bring some of my perspective to the
list.

This from an op-ed by Bob Herbert of the New York Times at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/13/opinion/13herbert.html
  ::

"The Bush doctrine, which flung open the doors to the catastrophe in
Iraq, was such a fundamental aspect of the administration’s foreign
policy that it staggers the imagination that we could have someone no
further than a whisper away from the White House who doesn’t even know
what it is.

You can’t imagine that John McCain or Barack Obama or Joe Biden or
Hillary Clinton or Joe Lieberman would not know what the Bush doctrine
is. But Sarah Palin? Absolutely clueless."

-------

Interesting... this reminds me of a certain question posed to our
current president back in 2004:

Mark Trahant - "Mr President, you've been a governor and a president
so you have unique experience looking at it from 2 directions. What do
you think tribal sovereignty means in the 21st century, and how do we
resolve conflicts between tribes and the federal and state governments?"

Bush - "Tribal sovereignty means that; it's sovereign. I mean, you're
a — you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign
entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government
and tribes is one between sovereign entities." —Washington, D.C., Aug.
6, 2004

The man was president of the US, a self governing country (aka
"sovereign entity"), and didn't even know what it meant. No wonder the
audience laughed at him while trying to answer the question.  It is up
to us to make sure that future administrations can answer such
questions without resorting to "Bushisms".

If McCain and Palin get elected, I fear for the future of America -  a
march towards dimwittedness at the highest levels of government indeed.

-Steven