[OFB Cafe] Goin' to church (WAS: Time Magazine and NY Times on Sarah Palin)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Sep 4 18:27:09 CDT 2008

> That's EXACTLY why I don't go to church. There are simply too many
> people there that claim to be "God-fearing" but don't practice in
> their day-to-day lives.

	That's because the church is filled with humans. Admittedly, too many
people speak as if those in the church are morally superior. We're
not. We are just more humans -- Christianity, after all, says that we
are sinful and need to be forgiven. Honest Christians will admit they
are on a journey -- working earnestly towards being less sinful, but
often failing.

> It seems anyone can do anything and "pray for forgiveness" and it's
> all okay. Or, they can pray for anything to happen -- good or bad-
> to/for themselves or others.

	Well, it is like any other group. There are always rotten apples.

> It's all a bunch of crap.
>
> I treat people how I'd like them to treat me; with kindness and
> respect. I don't need a church around me to make that happen.

	That's not the purpose of the church.

Timothy R. Butler | "Bad is so bad, that we cannot but think good
Editor, OfB.biz   | an accident;  good is so  good, that  we feel
tbutler at ofb.biz   | certain that evil could be explained."
timothybutler.us  |                           -- G. K. Chesterton