[OFB Cafe] Goin' to church (WAS: Time Magazine and NY Times on Sarah Palin)

Rick Bowers rwbowers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:11:17 CDT 2008

At Thursday 9/4/2008 09:17, Chris Olson wrote:

>From: Chris Olson
>
>   It's more like 99.99% of so-called "Christians" I've ever met
> work in mysterious ways because they're brainwashed into believing
> in twisted myths.

>8X-----SNIP-----X8

>He told all of us that God brought this new girlfriend into his
>life, that he prayed about it and it was "God's will" that they get
>married, except for one problem;  his ex-wife who he wasn't divorced
>from yet.  He told us that God had shown him that she was a sinner
>because she broke their marriage vows by filing for this
>divorce.  It was "until death do us part" and he couldn't marry this
>new babe and stay in good standing in the congregation, so he asked
>the congregation to pray for him that God would rub out his ex-wife
>so he could marry this new one.  That wasn't the bad part - all
>these "Christians" were stupid enough to do it - it was like this
>guy was perfect and he had never done anything wrong, simply because
>he got up and spouted all this "Christian" and bible bullshit.
>
>I never went to church much but my wife got into this "Christian"
>stuff after we got married and she's the only reason I was in that
>church in the first place - because she wanted to go there.  On the
>way home I told her, "I ain't goin' to that frickin' place no more
>because those people are weird."  She didn't quite see it my way
>until a couple months later when we got kicked out because they
>decided my wife was a "sinner" simply for wearing a mini-dress to church.
>--
>Chris

That's EXACTLY why I don't go to church. There are simply too many
people there that claim to be "God-fearing" but don't practice in
their day-to-day lives.

It seems anyone can do anything and "pray for forgiveness" and it's
all okay. Or, they can pray for anything to happen -- good or bad-
to/for themselves or others.

It's all a bunch of crap.

I treat people how I'd like them to treat me; with kindness and
respect. I don't need a church around me to make that happen.

~Rick